One in four veterans coming home from Iraq and Afghanistan and tens of thousands of military families struggle with hunger. 1.5 million veterans receive food assistance.
If you agree that it is unacceptable for Congress to make cuts to the vital programs that feed our military families, your voice can make a world of difference.
How to make a call to Congress:
- Rehearse your script and think of any personal connection to the issue you may have, or just why you care.
- Use our calling tool to enter your number, address, and zip code
- We'll call you from (202) 930-8878
- Press "*" to be connected. You can also click "*" to advance to the next official
- Post this link on social media and encourage your friends and family to call today
Hello, my name is _______ and ______ is my Senator/Representative.
I am calling to ask Senator/Rep. ________ to stand up and say YES to guaranteeing that the members of our military, their families and all those who have served our country can afford adequate, healthy food.
Does (s)he know that tens of thousands of military families can’t afford groceries? Or that 1 in 4 vets returning from Iraq or Afghanistan struggle with hunger?
Please ask Sen/Rep. ______ to protect the vital programs that prevent hunger, make sure that enlisted people are paid enough to afford healthy food for their families, and to fix our broken food system so it reaches all Americans.
This is important to me because _________.*
* Members of my own family have served overseas and I feel deeply that our nation should support military families.
* I feel that someone putting their life at risk for our country should never have to worry that their family is hungry.
* Paying our military men and women too little to afford groceries discourages recruitment and puts our national security at risk.
* I want every American to be able to afford the food that will help them fulfill their potential.